Thursday, January 8, 2009

Our Bedroom

Sorry it has taken me so long to post the pictures of our bedroom. I wanted to get all the Christmas stuff down first and then I got sick. I am still a little sick. I don't know what is wrong with me. I am nauseous all the time, no food tastes or even looks good, I have gotten sick a couple of times. I am just completely drained of energy. If I didn't know better, I would think I was pregnant.

Just for clarification I would like to reiterate that last statement.

I AM NOT PREGNANT.

Now Mr. Genius and all the grandparents can let out a big sigh of relief.

I think it is some kind of stomach bug. I have gotten my flu shot but that doesn't always mean anything. So I guess it could be the flu.

But whatever I have, it isn't fun. I haven't had the energy to go or do anything. Other then going to the grocery store on Monday, my poor boys have been stuck in this house all week. I usually get out of the house at least once a day whether it be to run an errand or go somewhere fun. I don't like to just sit around.

Today I am starting to feel a little better. I actually made my bed! So I took a picture of this miraculous event to prove to Mr. Genius that I can once again be productive. Now I will post it on the web for all to see.

Now back to us redoing the bedroom.

So for Christmas I gave Mr. Genius an air compressor and a nail gun and he gave me wood trim, cornices, and paint.

Aren't we romantic?

But together, our gifts and endless hours of hard work, made a room I am pretty proud of. What we thought would be a long weekend project turned into an almost 2 week project.

First off I will show you my favorite part, the ceiling.




Those squares where a booger.

Well easy for me to say, this was Mr. Genius' baby.

I don't know what Mr. Genius and I were thinking, our builder did not make anything in the house straight or centered. So why we thought that the light fixture would actually be in the center of the ceiling, is beyond me.

So all the measurements we did before we put the trim up had to be thrown out. So actually none of the squares are the same size. Matt just made sure that the distant between all the squares were the same.

But it turned out good, didn't it?

Then we also put trim above the bed. I painted the inside of the trim a shade darker then the walls. But when you put the trim between them you can't really tell it is a different color.

One day I will change it, but if I have to look at another paint brush right now I will barf...literally.






I didn't say that the bed making was perfect, but it was done.



The next picture is where Mr. Genius and I had to compromise.

I hate cords. I know that they are imperative to make electronics work. I just don't want to look at them. When you have a flat screen TV hanging on your wall, you have to look at the cords every night.

They drove me crazy!

So I wanted to cut a hole in the wall and stick the cords that go to our TV in the hole so they would be hidden from sight.

Mr. Genius didn't feel like having to redo drywall. So he came up with a cord cover and I just painted it the same color as the walls.



Just in case we forget which sink is ours, we have little mats to remind us.






Yes, I do realize that the plate isn't centered.

For some reason, I only think about it during nap time and with Romeo's room right above our bedroom hammering isn't an option.

There are still some finishing touches I need to do, but that would require me to get out of the house. So maybe next week we can work on that.

3 comments:

Lyndsey said...

Katie..it looks great!! I'm always impressed with your do it yourself attitude. Love the ceiling and the molding above the headboard. Whoever gets your house after you will be so lucky to have all those special touches.

Katie said...

I love it, Katie! Super cute... hey, you never did tell me if you made your Christmas mantle decorations yourself or if you bought it somewhere. Either way it is really, really pretty!

Jamey and Beth said...

Katie-

I love it and can't wait to see it in person. I love the ceiling and the part above your bed--that was a GREAT idea!!!