Anyways, I ran across this list a couple of months ago and I keep it on my fridge as a reminder and I think you all would find it very informative so I thought I would share.
A study was conducted by the The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University.
The study was called "The Importance of Family Dinners"
Children Who Have Regular Sit-Down Family Dinners Are:
1. At half the risk for substance abuse compared to teens who dine infrequently with their families.
2. Less likely to have friends or classmates who use drugs.
3. have lowers levels of tension and stress at home.
4. Are more likely to say that their parents are proud of them.
5. Are likelier to say they can confide in their parents.
6. Are likelier to get better grades in school.
7. Are more likely to be emotionally content and have positive peer relationships.
8. Have healthier eating habits.
9. Are at lower risk for thoughts of suicide.
10. Are less likely to try marijuana or have friends who use marijuana.
Kind of puts things in perspective, huh?
I know later on in life it will get harder for us to have a sit down dinner with our boys. When they get in all the sports, and have more freedom to hang out with their friends. Mr. Genius and I are hoping that us starting the tradition so early in the boys lives that it will be harder for us to break this habit. At least that is the hope.